Imagine that you are stuck in the wilderness and your food is all consumed. If you want to survive in this situation, the next step should be managing the food to eat. There are many ways to collect food in such a situation. If you can gather fruit, that’s great.
But, what if you are in a place where fruits are not available and there is only water nearby or around you? Well, a feasible option in that scenario would be fishing. And what’s the most important thing for fishing? It is a hook, right? Yes, that’s what you need the most to catch fishes and survive.
You might have used hooks bought from shops. But, when hooks are not available to you anymore, you can make one! Believe me, you can do it if you can manage a can, safety pin, zipper, or even a wire. It is your survival that matters the most, right?
To make you ready to survive in a place where you are close to any pond, sea, lake, or river, we are going to show you how to make fishing hooks. This is a complete DIY guide that you can try with minimal effort. Let’s see a bunch of ways of making fishing hooks.
How to make fishing hooks with wire for catching small fishes
If you are near a water body that contains small fishes, you can make a fishing hook using a steel or copper wire. Note that, this fishing hook is not appropriate and strong enough for catching big fishes. Here are the steps to make fishing hooks with wire for small fishes:
- Cut a copper wire or steel wire into 1.5 inches length. Use a wire cutter pliers or scissor to do so. If none of these are available, you can cut the wire by hitting the target point or edge with a stone.
- Strike one edge of the wire repeatedly with the head of the pliers or stone to sharpen it. To sharpen it better, rub it for two minutes with a big stone if possible.
- Bend the wire to give it the shape of a hook.
- Make a tiny loop at the top of the hook.
- Attach your reel to the loop.
- That’s it. Now, you are ready to use the hook for catching small fishes.
How to make a fishing hook with a safety pin
Do you have safety pins with you? If yes, that’s something you can use to make your hook and catch fresh fishes. Let’s see how can you make a fishing hook with safety pins:
- Open your safety pin to expose the sharp edge of the safety pin.
- Bend the edge outwards a little.
- Bend the sharp edge in the opposite direction or to the bottom. Make sure that it looks like a hook.
- Now tie the loop of the other end with a fishing line or reel.
- Find a worm around you to use as bait in your newly-made hook. Place the bait in the sharp end of the safety pin.
- Now, you are ready to catch fishes with this small but sturdy hook.
How to make a Gorge fishing hook
In case you cannot manage any safety pin to make a hook, you can go back to 3000 B.C ago when primitive anglers would use a Gorge hook for fishing. You need a stick of appropriate size and a sharp knife to make a Gorge hook of your own. The length and width of the stick vary for different fish sizes. If your target is to catch big fishes, your stick should be bigger compared to the stick used to catch small fishes. Here are the steps you are supposed to follow if you want to make a Gorge fishing hook:
- Find a sturdy tree such as Pine or Birch.
- Cut a stick or branch out from the selected tree with the knife.
- Cut the stick in a way so that it measures about one-third of the thickness of your finger. When it comes to the length, you can make is as long as your pinky finger for catching smaller fishes and as long as your ring finger for catching bigger fishes.
- Get the bark stripped off from the stick.
- Sharpen both the edges of the stick thoroughly.
- Cut a small and shallow notch in the middle part of the stick and keep making a circle of notch throughout the circumference.
- Take your fishing line and tie it around the notch that you have just made.
- Place the bait in the Gorge vertically. When a fish will swallow it, this will turn horizontal and get stuck into the throat of the fish.
- That’s all. You’ve made your Gorge hook. Note that, you can also use an animal bone to make a Gorge hook.
How to make a fishing hook from beer or soda tab
Do you drink soda or beer? If yes, the cans that you would otherwise throw in the bin can be used to make an effective fishing hook. The part you need to collect from the soda or beer can is the tab. If you have got a knife, a good hand, and a willing mind to give effort, you can make hooks from soda or beer and get the fishes hooked. Here are the steps you have to go through to make a fishing hook from the soda or beer tab:
- The first thing you have to do is to separate the tab from the can. You might need to twist the tab until it comes out from the can. However, twisting the tab towards 360 degrees will be effective to help you pull off the tab from the can.
- Take a sharp knife or any cutting object that is enabled to cut metals.
- You have to make a small cut from the bottom part of the tab.
- Bend the part you have just cut to give it a shape like a hook.
- However, to make sure that the slanted cut is sharp enough to catch fish, you are supposed to cut one edge of the tab’s bottom in a way so that it makes a sharp angle.
- You just need one sharp edge. So, make sure that you have blunted all the unwanted sharp edges with the help of stone, sandpaper, or a file.
- Take a fishing line and tie it with the top edge of the tab.
- Now, find any worm or anything a fish might have to use as bait.
- Now that you have managed the bait, it is time to go fishing.
How to make fishing hooks from a thorn
If you want to make simpler fishing hooks or if you have no resources available for making a hook except some trees with thorn, you can use the thorns as fishing hooks for catching small fishes. However, if you want to catch larger fishes, you have to manage a big thorn. Here are three simple steps you should follow to make a fishing hook out of a thorn:
- Cut or snap a thorn. Make sure that its upper edge is not very blunt. You might need to have a bigger thorn if you want to catch large fishes.
- Take a fishing line and tie it at the blunt end of the thorn.
- Put the bait into the thorn and you are ready to go.
How to make fishing hooks from wood
Have you got a stick around you? If yes, that’s enough for making a hook for catching fishes. What you need to make sure is that you will carve the stick in a way so that it looks like a hook you buy our of fishing stores. Let’s see the steps of making a fishing hook out of wood below:
- Find a stick that that resembles the size of your index finger.
- Break the stick off from the ⅓ of the length. Get the bark off from the stick.
- Sharpen one edge of the stick to make a point.
- Now, use a cord or inner strands of the paracord to bind the sharpened part with the remaining part of the stick in a way so that it forms a ‘V’ shape.
- Tie a fishing line on the blunt edge of the stick.
- Bait the sharper part of the hook with a worm. Now, you are ready to catch some fishes.
How to make a fishing hook from wishbone
Do you have any bird or chicken in your meal? If so, you can save and use the wishbone to make a working fishing hook. Follow the steps below to make a perfect fishing hook for survival out of wishbone:
- Snap off half of the wishbone’s leg gently.
- Take your knife and sharpen the edge of the remaining bone of the leg that you have shortened. Make sure that the point is sharp. However, you have to cautious so that the bone is not broken.
- Make a small barb on the wishbone’s leg below the point.
- On the other edge of the hook, make a small hole. Now, attach the fishing line in it.
- Get a bait and use it in your new hook from wishbone. That’s it. You are ready for fishing now.
How to make a fishing hook out of a paperclip
You can also use a paperclip to make a fishing hook out of it. Here are the steps you have to follow to do so:
- Straighten the paperclip.
- Bend it with pliers. Make a small loop at one edge of the paperclip.
- Give the other edge of the paperclip a hook a “J” shape with the pliers.
- Attach a line, cord, or string to the small loop.
- Add the rod of any size that is available to you.
- Congratulations! You have made a fishing hook successfully out of a paperclip and you are now ready to go fishing.
How to make a fishing hook from a zipper
Well, this is another amazing and easy-to-make option for making a hook for fishing. If you have a zipper in your pants or bag, you can easily turn it into a hook. Here are the steps you have to go through:
- Get a zipper out of pants or bag.
- Get and bend the loop wide open.
- Pull the loose end into a 90-degree angle.
- Find a rough stone with the capability to sharpen.
- Grind the exposed tip down to make a sharp point.
- Now get the strands of the paracord or any other cord or line to attach with the other end of the zipper.
- Bait the zipper and you are ready to go.
Managing the fishing line for hooks
Now that you know a variety of ways to make fishing hooks, it is time to know how to manage a fishing line when you are struggling to survive. It is because you cannot use a fishing hook without an appropriate fishing line. If you do not have a fishing line with you, you use any of the two options mentioned below as a fishing line:
- Dental floss
- Inner strands of the paracord.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How to make a fishing hook from a can tab?
If you have got any soda or beer can or any other can that has a tab, you can make a fishing hook out of it. Check the article above to find how to make a fishing hook from the beer or soda tab.
Can I use any wire for making a fishing hook?
Yes, you can. However, the stronger the wire is, the sturdy the hook will be and you will be able to catch bigger fishes.
What if I do not have any fishing line?
You can use dental floss or the inner strands of the paracord as a fishing line in times when you do not have any fishing line with you.
What can I use as a bait in the fishing hook?
You can use worms, crickets, leeches, crayfishes, crabs, shrimps, eels, sea worms, and anything that will give a lucrative smell and seem attractive to fishes.
Can I use a hairpin for making a fishing hook?
Yes, you can use a hairpin or any kind of the pins as long as that has a sharp edge or you can make a sharp point. Just make sure that your hook has a J or V shape.
When you are striving to survive, you can use anything as a hook that can be given a “V” and “J” shape. However, make sure that the hook you are making is water-resistant and sturdy enough to catch fishes. We hope that you can now know how to make fishing hooks out of the common objects you can manage (as mentioned above) when you are struggling to manage a meal.